Sunday, January 15, 2012

Wedding Checklist

So, according to TheKnot.com and our wedding website, we have just 84 days to go until our wedding. EIGHTY-FOUR (I spelled it out for emphasis). I can't believe it.
One year ago at this time, I was probably sitting in my apartment, probably lesson planning or grading, as was my life then, my then-pregnant best friend was probably over and we were probably watching Army Wives, or Drop Dead Diva or some other show that I had recorded on my DVR for us to watch over the weekend. I had the typical "woe is me who is without a love" and she had the normal "I'm craving...(fill in the blank, but it was usually rice crispy treats!).

I didn't know then what I do now about love, how it's not superficial. Being IN love with someone, completely and totally is not a love that is "surface" love. That kind of love is when you tell a close-friend-but-not-your-bestie-friend "love ya!" or the favorite ice cream flavor of Ben & Jerry's "ooooh I love that Cherry's Garcia flavor!" That's surface love. But deep, heartfelt, emotional love is being completely IN love with someone so much that, even if you didn't know them a year ago, you feel like....you feel like your life would be completely empty without them around. That the person was your missing puzzle piece to your life. That you can't imagine your life any different than being side-by-side. Completely 150% committed to them, to your bond, to your relationship, your life together. That, to me, is true love.


I firmly believe with all my heart that my grandfather had a hand in Erik and I...with later assistance from Erik's grandfather. I hear they were great friends, the two of them. We found out back in August that both of our grandfathers, along with a fella at church in Ontario, sang in the Pomona Valley Carousel Chorus (Barbershop of course!) together AND that my grandfather and his grandfather both stood side-by-side on the risers! For me to believe that they didn't have a hand in this would be absurd! We want to make sure we honor both of them on our wedding day. They are a part of both of us, they are a part of our lives, and we are who we are today because of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Woah, that was deep. That was not the point of this particular post.
Anywho, I wanted to share what The Knot has decided I need to do (apparently 102 things still, with 8 of them "overdue") before the big day. I'll spare you all 102 things and just talk about the things for 2-3 months beforehand.

Apparently we are supposed to "plan out the ceremony with your officiant and talk about any religious requirements (such as premarital counseling). I've been lectured, counseled, advised and the like by friends and relatives who SWEAR by premarital counseling. And that's GREAT! I do not discount that one bit. Honestly, if we could afford it, and if our officiant were in California, like we are, we WOULD. We have similar, but different plans that we have been working on for our marriage, such as the Dave Ramsey courses and such, and will be working toward being debt free. Please know that I'm not saying that we won't do premarital counseling, but if we can't do it, we can't do it.

"Finalize the menu and service details with the caterer." -->My mother and I are planning a special trip to Florida in February (woah, next month!) just for the little things like this! I'm SO excited about the caterer we are going with, he is SO accommodating and is giving lots of "complementary" items as being included! So, no, it probably won't be done exactly in that 2-3 month window, but it will be done. :)

"Shop for and purchase wedding bands"...yah, we've shopped...I found my favorite, he found his...just gotta get them now... :)

"Grooms: Get measured for your tux at the formalwear shop." If I could get the MOTH (man of the house) to actually DO THIS!? I've not pushed him to get it done and taken care of, I've just brought it up...probably once a month since November that I will need the measurements of all the men that will be ordering tux's...Sacino's is only in Tampa and for SOME REASON I had to pick a local shop...*rolls eyes at self*

"Having a bridal shower? A bachelorette party? Or a bachelor party? Talk to your maid of honor and best man about any prewedding party plans." Considering that my best friend is my MOH, I know I'll be in good hands....I'm a little worried about MOTH though b/c Gman is HIS best man...Gman is FIVE...he asked his dad if he could invite HIS friends...cute, but um, not quite the same party kid...sorry! :)

"Schedule your dress fittings and confirm delivery date for your wedding dress." Ummmmmmm....mine won't be delivered to the shop till AT LEAST January 27...(eek! CLOSE!) and then I'll hopefully be able to try it on when Mom and I are there in February...one fitting at the beginning of the week and hopefully (by the grace of the alterations lady) a second at the end of the week...that's it. Two fittings in one week to get it right...when you live across the country, ya just gotta go with it!!

"Finalize the ceremony song list and ceremony readings with your VIPs (very important extras)." That's a work in progress. Waiting to hear from one group because another group never got back to us, and then other music is being looked at...all just for the ceremony. Readings (and people) are picked out, just have to ask 'em now!

"Figure out ceremony readings and reach out to the people you want to play those roles"...umm, didn't we just go over this? CHECK!

"Brides: Give a bridal shower guest list to your bridesmaids." Considering I'm in California, one of my bridesmaids is in Texas, one is in Arkansas, and two are in Florida...I don't know exactly how this is going to happen, but I hear there is talk of one in Florida which would be totally awesome! :)

"Arrange day-of transportation for you, your wedding party, and guests (as needed)." They can walk, I can't get my dress dirty! KIDDING Yah, that's in progress too...

"Send out invitations at the three-month mark. Be sure to add extra postage for overseas guests." And for the rising cost of stamps...is it bad that ours aren't going out until like...5 weeks? Save the dates are going out at 7 weeks...that's cutting it close...I know....

Surprisingly, that's it. But then when we get to the 6 week mark, there's a ton more to do...but I'll spare that for another blog entry. In the midst of all this planning, we are both working nonstop, recovering from illnesses, and I'm auditioning for the Harborlites Chorus and hoping to make it in before the drop-dead date to be able to go to Denver! Oh boy! Lots to do!

Well, this is going to be it for now. I already have a couple more posts in progress about our cleaning day we had a few weeks ago...and the one that we're going to have SOON, and about this whole wedding experience so far...STAY TUNED! :D

Leave us some love!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I'm glad you are doing this so I can keep up with you and how you are doing. We should actually talk soon if you have the time :). Ashley B

    ReplyDelete